Poetry Sparks

A commons for sharing images, quotes, stories, and observations that - given the right mix of oxygen and kindling - might ignite a little poetic inspiration...

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Silence is your friend

A speaker I heard this morning shared a story about traveling in the car with a man who said this to her when she was rambling on about nothing in particular. She said it was the kindest way anyone had ever told her to shut up, and that even though silence is a natural rhythm for us, it's one with which many people feel uncomfortable. She then discussed the importance of spending time being still, meditating, and praying in order to connect with God, which reminded me of the Buddhist / yoga practice of mindfulness. I find that poetry flows in stillness too, as if the voice of poetry is drowned out by the other noise that surrounds me when I'm bustling through my day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home